I don't think I have ever concidered myself a fantastic chef at all. But I definately love new recipies and any excuse to cook for family and friends. My baby boy just had a birthday, and I have tried to make something fun for each of them for their birthdays. My son loves playing with all of his balls, so my other kdis and I decided to make him a baseball cake. And of course, if you can add ice cream, why not! So with the guidance of my friend, my kids and I gave it a try. Check out my friend Sueann's recipie blog, it is fantastic!!! Here is an ice cream cake she made that was so cool looking!!
Here is how I made mine, keep in mind I am no professional!
Ingredients and supplies:
1 box cake mix, your choice (I used Devil food)
21 boxes of ice cream, your choice (I used Mint Chocolate) - softened
Frosting (I made my own, I like the flavor the most)
Orange and black or brown food coloring
small samdwich bag
1. Bake the cake to package directions, in a large cookie sheet. Let cool.
2. With your round bowl, line the inside with saran wrap. (this I may have forgotten about with out Sueann's help.)
3. Cut cake into small pieces and line around the edge of the bowl.
4. Cover and freeze for at least 20 min, until cake is firm.
5. Add the softened ice cream to the bowl.
6. Cover and Freeze for at least 2 hours.
7. Flip cake over on serving plate, the saran wrap will help you pull the cake out.
8. Ice the cake with orange frosting, I had to set mine back in the freezer before step 9 for 20 min.
9. Using a meat clever (thank you Sueann for the idea!!!), pat at the frosting to make it look bumpy like a basket ball. Using a small sandwich bag filled with your brown or black frosting, make the lines on the basket ball.
So easy and so fun!!! Have fun if you give it a try!!