Saturday, December 3, 2011

Re-purposed Block Stocking Hangers

I have been wanting some stocking hangers for a long time now.  Every year we end up putting our stocking under the tree until Christmas Eve.  Then the kids play with them, and run off and scatter them all over the house.  It drives me crazy to pick them up all the time.
I can never decide on the stocking hangers that I want.  Or the ones I fall in love with are kinda expensive.  So I thought I could re-purpose some blocks.  These blocks had some cute saying on them, but they never matched anything I had so they just sat in the closet.
I was feeling crafty!  I love those days!


Here is how I made them:
I used some blocks I already had. If you want to make these and don't have any pre-cut blocks, go buy a 4 x 4 at the local lumber store.  Then cut into squares.
I lightly sanded down my blocks so they were not rough.
I painted with craft paint the entire block.  I only used 1 coat of paint, but you may want 2.
I found a cute font on the computer at this 1001 free fonts.  I used Angelic War.
I typed the Christmas words that I wanted.  Joy, Noel, Peace, Love, Faith
Make sure the font size will fit onto a 3 1/2" square.
Print onto Christmas colored paper.
Cut out to size of block.
Mod Podge the paper onto the front of the block.
When dry, Mod Podge over top of the paper.
When dry, lightly sand the edges of the block around the paper.
Use an antiquing stamp or stain around the edges of the paper.
Screw some small hooks into the front of the block.


It was so quick and easy.  I got it all done in one day, as I was running around doing other things as well.  Since we don't have a fireplace to hang our stockings on, I thought I would hang them on our shelf that usually holds family pictures.  Now all I need to do is make some matching stockings for all of us.  If you have any cute stockings you have seen online, please let me know.  I have been looking on Pintrest and found a few.

These are not the best instructions, no pictures.  So if you want to make these and need some help, send me a note!

Merry Christmas everyone!

Don't forget about the great deal offered to you by Crafty Lil Fox.  And stay tuned I will be having another giveaway next week!

No comments: